Dumfries and Galloway Council hold the largest collection of material on Dumfries and Galloway in the world. A guide to the local studies material held by the Council can be found online at http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=7259. See also the guide for researchers published by the council: Researching Local History: A Guide to Sources held by Dumfries and Galloway Council, Dumfries and Galloway Council, 2009.
Dumfries and Galloway Archive Centre
33 Burns Street
T. 01387 269254
Most of the Council’s archive material is held at the Dumfries and Galloway Archive Centre in Dumfries, with smaller collections to be found in the Stewartry Museum (Kirkcudbright), the Stranraer Museum and the Annan Museum. A catalogue covering all council archive material can be searched at:
Archive material held by Dumfries and Galloway Council includes:
- Agricultural records and surveys.
- Allegiance oaths.
- Architectural collections, including over 12,000 architectural drawings.
- Building and Planning records.
- Burgess records, including Dumfries Burgh burgess tickets, a list of Dumfries burgesses, and a list of Kirkcudbright burgesses.
- Burgh and County records – administrative, fiscal and financial – from the sixteenth century onwards.
- Burial records.
- Census Returns for all the parishes of Dumfriesshire, Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire, 1841-1891.
- Court records, including Burgh and Justice of the Peace records, Jail Books, Bail Bond Registers and Indictment Books, from 1506 onwards.
- Customs and Excise records.
- Estate and family papers from the fifteenth century onwards.
- Family and Genealogical papers.
- Guide books.
- Health records from the majority of hospitals in the region.
- Irregular Marriage records.
- Kirk Session, Presbytery and Non-Conformist Church records.
- Literary records, such as John MacTaggart’s manuscripts and letters.
- Local clubs, societies, associations, businesses and trades records.
- Local newspapers from 1777, many of them fully indexed.
- Maps and plans from the seventeenth century onwards.
- Military records.
- Monumental inscriptions from graveyards throughout Dumfries and Galloway.
- Motor Vehicle Licensing Registers for Dumfriesshire, Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire from 1904.
- Old Parochial Registers for all the parishes of Dumfriesshire, Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire.
- Paintings and drawings, including the Faed collection of paintings and drawings, and the Jessie M. King and E. A. Taylor Collection.
- Poor and Parochial Board records.
- Private papers, including diaries, account books and letters.
- Roads and Militia records from 1667.
- Sasine registers, indexes and abridgements, for Dumfriesshire, Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire from 1617.
- School records, including log books, class registers and School Board records.
- Town and Regional Council minutes.
- Valuation, assessment and voting rolls.
- Over 280,000 microfiche records of local material from Dumfries and Galloway.
- A collection of over 80,000 books, pamphlets, research notes and ephemera on Dumfries and Galloway.
The Archive also holds over 20,000 local photographs dating from the mid nineteenth century onwards. Around 7,000 have been digitised and can be viewed on the Council’s Through the Lens website: http://www.dgttl.co.uk.
The ‘Friends of the Archives of Dumfries and Galloway’ have transcribed, indexed and explained various kinds of historical records held by the Archives. See http://www.dgcommunity.net/historicalindexes/default.aspx. The following list shows the records that have been digitised so far:
- The 1851 Census for the parishes of Dumfriesshire, Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire.
- Dumfries Kirk Session records from 1686 to 1695 and Presbytery minutes of Dumfries from 1689 to 1838.
- Troqueer Kirk Sessions (1698-1771).
- Mouswald Kirk Sessions (1640-1659).
- Jail Books (kept from 1714-1788).
- The Bail Bond Registers (1775-1810).
- Dumfries Town Chamberlain’s accounts 1793-1801.
- Dumfries Dean of Guild Plans 1892-1974.
- The Shipping registers for Dumfries 1824-1904, Kirkcudbright 1824-1841, Stranraer 1824-1908 and Wigtown 1836-1908.
- Dumfries Poor Board Minutes.